Friday, May 9, 2008

bees

my mother and i want to start raising bees in our backyards. i think we will start off with one hive. i'm in charge of research and she'll probably be the funds manager. johnny isn't enthusiastic about keeping bees but i am! there's a lot of news lately about bees disappearing and it's quite alarming, considering how much we rely on them to pollinate our food! did you know every thrid bite of food was brought to us by bees? burt's bees was giving away seeds but they have run out. you can still plant bee-attracting plants in your yard, though. check out these resources:

http://pollinator.org/

http://organicgardening.com/

http://www.burtsbees.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I would have interest in doing that if my daughter weren't allergic (mildly but still). I have noticed even in our yard there aren't too many bees but wasps. :( And you can have honey and beeswax too as your bonus.

sister*bluebird said...

That is cool. Me too Me Too! But like you, so many of my projects are a work in progress.

Great pictures here! Glad you stopped by so I could track back here.

Anonymous said...

interesting facts there. You are pushing your luck by adding bees to your little urban farm there, I reckon, but do it as long as you can!! I don't personally like honey, but I do like the idea of helping out an endangered species. I'm allergic to the stings, but isn't everyone?

Contact FindMePlants to add this Plant Finder to your website for free!