Monday, June 9, 2008

RIP stewie.

we had to kill one of our cockerels this weekend. he was not doing so well. his butt turned black and he wasn't as interested in eating as before. we knew he was sick so johnny got to kill his first chicken. i didn't feel that bad cause it was a mercy killing but still - it was a little sad.

as for the remaining 8, they are on borrowed time. those little *&^%# destroyed my garden by roosting in my squash and pecking everything else to death. that's ok, though. i'm learning.

and yet - no eggs.

but i am happier than normal because i have managed to take a big step in personal improvement and started an exercise regimen with B that we have stuck to pretty well. i live in a beautiful neighborhood with lots of hills, some of them pretty steep and for about 45 mins, B and I walk around the neighborhood. lately, it's been a bit tougher cause of the humid heat, but we still do it. it feels quite good afterwards, too. i'm a little proud of myself by exceeding my doc's recommendation of exercising for 30 mins. 5 times a week. we've been walking nearly everyday.

i am a little worried about this heat, though. our utilities are going to be really high at this rate. plus, we are still in a drought. and the price of gas is really hurting. time to up the ante and make myself healthier, stronger, more frugal, and more thankful.

2 comments:

turningwheelfarm said...

Uhh black butt on the chicken didn't sound good so I guess it was for the best. I think it takes a year from when they are chicks to get eggs but I don't know. Then they don't lay every day until the second year I believe. Again I don't know and it depends on the light they would get where you live. Our's lay late Feb. - October. Walking is good and makes you feel more positive. I should do more of it but it's been raining too much. :( Plus might improve my mood about gas and food prices and the world in general right? :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Poor Stewie. Never heard of Black Butt, but it can't be good! ewww...

Our hens started laying eggs right around 24 weeks old. Several of them were late layers and didn't lay their first until after 30 weeks, though.
Now all 13 of them, at 35 weeks old are laying and we get between 10-13 eggs a day.
They sure went through alot of egg-laying adjustmets, though. YOu might have seen some of the freaky eggs and double or triple yolk eggs we got in the beginning. Wild!

Oh! And good for your for finding the time and energy for exercising especially in the heat and humidity.
I walk up and down a steep hill every day to get to the barn and take care of the animals. Does that count, too?
hehe

Contact FindMePlants to add this Plant Finder to your website for free!